The Sea Ice CCI project develops a set of consistent multi-mission merged products for ice concentration and ice thickness, which are the main sea ice ECVs.
The data products available from Phase 1 are:
- Sea ice concentration based on passive microwave data from SSM/I (F10, F11, F13, F14, F15) (1992-2008) and AMSR-E (2002-2011), covering both Arctic and Antarctic. The ice concentration products are developed in collaboration with Eumetsat OSI SAF.
- Sea ice thickness and freeboard in the Arctic and freeboard in the Antarctic based on radar altimeter data from Envisat RA-2 for the winter months (2002-2012)
Ice concentration products from Phase 2:
Planned updates during Phase 2:
- Sea ice concentration based on AMSR-E (2002-2011) will be extended with AMSR2 (2013-2015)
- Arctic sea ice thickness and freeboard and Antarctic freeboard from ERS-1 RA (1993-2000), ERS-2 RA (1995-2003), Envisat RA-2 (2002-2012), Cryosat-2 SIRAL2 (2010 ->) and Arctic thin ice sea ice thickness from SMOS (2009 ->)
- Sea ice drift: algorithm intercomparison and product specifications for a new sea ice ECV